Askar Askarov I went in and out of UFC259 without losing my resume.
Ascarov (14-0-1 MMA, 3-0-1 UFC) defeated former UFC flyweight title challenger in UFC 259 qualifying on Saturday Joseph Benavidez Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26).
The flyweight match was part of the UFC 259 spare card at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Following additional qualifying on ESPN +, it aired on ESPN in front of the main card in pay-per-view.
Round 1 was mostly an impressive fight. Askarov and Benavidez (28-7 MMA, 15-5 UFC) made landing strikes for both fighters. Askarov’s kick started to work and he recorded a slow takedown.
The second round was when Askarov actually began to scale in his favor. Askarov controlled Benavides with his mats and feet for most of the round. In the second half of the round, Askarov landed some heavy shots that further hurt Benavides’ face. In Round 3, Askarov’s impression shined again. The Russian flyweight also landed punches and kicks. Benavides’ attacks were never allowed.
With the victory, Askarov continues to climb the UFC flyweight ladder quickly. After drawing to Brandon Moreno on his promotional debut, Ascarov rattled a unanimous decision victory over Tim Elliott and Alexandre Pantoja before the fight on Saturday.
As for Benavides, the loss is the third in many of his outings. Benavides, a four-time UFC flyweight title challenger, lost to two men who didn’t hold UFC title gold. Askarov is one of them. The other is the current Bellatorban tamweight Sergio Pettis.
The latest UFC259 results are as follows:
- Askar Askarov def. Joseph Benavidez (30-27, 30-27, 30-26) by unanimous decision
- Kaikara-France def. Rogerio Bontrin (Punch) via TKO – Round 1, 4:55
- Tim Elliott def. Jordan Espinosa (30-27, 30-27, 30-25) by unanimous decision
- Kennedy Nzechukwudef. Carlos Ulberg (Punch) via TKO – Round 2, 3:19
- Shawn Brady def. Submitted Jake Matthews (Triangle Choke) – Round 3, 3:28
- Amanda Remos def. Livina Souza (Punch) via TKO – Round 1, 3:39
- Uros Medic def. Aalon Cruz via TKO – Round 1, 1:40
- Trevin Jones def. Mario Boutista (Punch) via TKO – Round 2, 0:47
– MMA Sports
Bloody Joseph Benavidez dominated by Askar Askarov
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/ufc-259-results-askar-askarov-dominates-joseph-benavidez-bloody-decision Bloody Joseph Benavidez dominated by Askar Askarov