- There are 14 Libertadores crowns between Boca, Palmeiras, River and Santos
- Three of the four reached the semifinals within the last two seasons
- The final will take place on January 30th in Maracana
There is no doubt that South American giants Boca Juniors, Santos, Riverplate and Palmeiras have advanced to the Copa Libertadores 2020 semifinals and are looking to the finals in the legendary Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The last four encounters are imminent. FIFA.com Let’s see how each team progressed from their quarterfinals.
Boca turns a tie at home
- First leg: Racing Club 1-0 Boca Juniors
- Round 2: Boca Juniors 2-0 Racing Club
For the first time since 2007, Boca Juniors overcame the deficit in Round 1 of the Knockout Thailand, played in the semifinals three times in a row for the first time in history, and played very well with Racing in Round 2.
Carlos Tevez stood out, but it was Eduardo Salvio who helped again. It has begun scoring the sixth goal of the best tournament recorded by Boca players at Libertadores since Martin Palermo won the net seven times in 2008.
Do you know?
- Miguel Russo is in his second spell for Boca. He was in command when the club last raised the trophy in 2007.
- Among the teams still running Los Xeneizes It recognizes the least goal of three, one less than Palmeiras.
Santos is inconspicuous
- First leg: Gremio 1-1 Santos
- Second leg: Santos 4-1 Gremio
With minimal effort OPeixe Defeated one of the most consistent teams in the last few years and made it to the semi-finals for the first time since 2012. Under the guidance of Cuca, who led Atletico Minero to the continental title in 2013, Santos quietly stepped up. Equip gear whenever you ever needed it during a tournament, but in these latter stages you will not be able to fly under the radar.
Kaio Jorge played an important role against Gremio, scoring three times with two legs. His two goals in the return match were the club’s first home. The precocious young man, who scored five goals in nine games, is the highest scorer in his team’s tournament. However, the rigor of Santos’ defense cannot be underestimated. Despite registering a share of just under 31%, Gremio has forgotten the challenge.
Do you know?
- Kaio Jorge took exactly 11 seconds to score the opening round in Round 2, and his opportunistic strike was the fifth fastest goal in Copa Libertadores history.
- Kaio Jorge (5) and Marinho (4) scored 53% of Santos’ goals (9 out of 17).
Palmeiras from power to power
- First leg: Libertad 1-1 Palmeiras
- Second leg: Palmeiras 3-0 Libertad
Palmeiras, the best team on the group stage and still the only undefeated team, has demonstrated full maturity and solidity compared to the Paraguayan costume Libertad. .. Brazilians have recently been attacking with threats, averaging 3 goals in the last four games.
Portuguese tactician Abel Ferreira takes command, O Verdão He finished 10 games without losing at Copa Libertadores in 2020. This is comparable to the best ever tournament record. Therefore, it is natural to participate in the semi-finals for the first time in three years.
Do you know?
- Brazilian forward Ronnie scored goals and assists (seventh tournament) in the second leg against Libertad. The latter achievement made him the top assist table alongside river plate striker Matias Suarez.
- Ronnie, who turned 25 earlier this year, also boasts four goals in Copa, thus participating in 11 of the 29 goals on his side (38 percent).
Insatiable appetite on the river plate
- First leg: River 2-0 National
- Second section: Nacional 2-6 River
Last season’s runner-up is the only team in the remaining quartet to reach the semi-finals for the past four years in a row. In fact, this is the fifth time in six years. Roth Mijonarios They finally reached this stage with trophies in 2015 and 2018. Currently, we are aiming for the third consecutive Copa final appearance, which is a feat that São Paulo achieved almost 30 years ago (1992 to 1994).
It was Marcelo Gallardo who was tasked with this taxation, and he again found a way to reinvent his highly regarded team. As a result, despite the disappearance of major players such as Enzo Perez and Ignacio Fernandez, River comfortably disposes of Nacional and young stars such as Nicolas de la Cruz in Uruguay and Jorge Carascar in Colombia. Gave me a chance to shine.
Do you know?
- River is the most prolific team left in the tournament, scoring 31 goals in 10 encounters. This is three times below the 21st century record (34 out of 14) set by São Paulo in 2005. The highest scorer so far is Rafael Santosboa (6 goals) and Julian Alvarez (5), who scored a hat-trick in the second quarterfinal.
- Gonzalo Montiel, who plays on the right back of the river, provided three assists in two games against Nacional. He has six assists throughout the tournament, totaling just behind teammates Mattias Suarez and Palmeiras Ronnie. Both lead the field with seven people.
Semifinal match (always local)
River plate vs Palmeiras
- First leg: May 1, 2021 (9:30 pm)
- Second leg: December 1, 2021 (9:30 pm)
Boca Juniors vs Santos
- First leg: June 1, 2021 (7:15 pm)
- 2nd leg: January 13, 2021 (7:15 pm)
– Soccer Sports
FIFA Club World Cup 2020-News-Glorious Quartet Prepares for Semi-Confrontation
https://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/news/illustrious-quartet-prepare-for-semi-showdowns FIFA Club World Cup 2020-News-Glorious Quartet Prepares for Semi-Confrontation