Distance learning at home is a controlled independent education. The student learns the subjects in a comfortable environment, at the right speed, and in a convenient mode. If a student needs assistance at any point in time he can always contact the teacher, or get support at Essayassistant.org.
Remote education and its peculiarities
The distance format is not new, it has long been used by leading American and European universities. Programs have been developed, teachers have experience in conducting the educational process online. In the context of the pandemic, this form of knowledge acquisition by students has become widespread – it was introduced for the purpose of continuous passage of educational programs.
Not all universities were ready for innovations because such a format is impossible to implement without a set of technical equipment and high-speed Internet. In this regard, the Ministry of Education and Science of many countries provided support to educational institutions experiencing difficulties with the organization of information infrastructure – a situation center with a hotline was created. “Digital volunteering” came into use – people involved in information technology began to help in overcoming the difficulties of transferring the educational process to the online mode.
As with full-time face-to-face education, remote education may result in academic debt. In accordance with the national law, students can pass certification in a module, course, or subject within a year from the moment of debt occurrence, within the time limits set by the university (but no more than 2 times). Retake is possible in a remote format (this should be displayed in the local regulatory act of the university).
If it is impossible to complete the course without practical classes and laboratory work, then they are included in the curriculum. Many students tend to have some difficulties with natural sciences like Physics, Chemistry, and biology. In this case, they can get some physics, chemistry, or biology help. The time and composition of the groups are discussed.
Following the legislation, the practice can be organized in the format of remote work – in this case, students interact with the supervisor online. The educational institution makes changes to the internship program, concludes appropriate agreements, if necessary.
Forms of distance learning
Many online courses with remote training can be taken using mobile devices (it is not necessary to have a home computer, it is only important to have Internet access). The educational process is organized through video and audio conferences, computer teleconferences, video lectures, web lessons, and classes using chat technologies. All these methods complement each other.
When conducting video conferences and computer teleconferences, two-way video and audio communication between students and the teacher is implemented. Visual contact allows the teacher to assess the degree of understanding of the subject.
Audio conferences allow only audio communication using analog and digital means of communication (phones or other equipment). Exams are conducted with a group or one-on-one.
Video lectures are one of the most convenient teaching methods. Digital information (the lecturer’s speech) is stored on a web server or an electronic medium. During the lecture, the lecturer shows tables, animations, film fragments and accompanies them with his comments. The main convenience for students is that they can return to the material as often as they want, which allows them to work through difficult moments.
The lessons in the chat take place by exchanging text messages between the participants, which are visible to the entire group. Web lessons are different types of educational activities (conferences, seminars). They are conducted through telecommunications. One of the most convenient options for interaction is forums. In this case, the study of the topic is not limited to a strict time frame, the participants work asynchronously – they read and comment on the messages left at a convenient time.
Pros and cons of distance learning
Advantages of online Education:
- a student can listen to many lectures at a convenient time, nothing prevents him from returning to incomprehensible topics;
- you can take training even while abroad, there is an opportunity to study on the job;
- the possibilities of communication with the teacher are expanded – you can contact them online, off-line (by phone, via e-mail, chat, forum);
- the student gets full access to educational materials – manuals, practice books, textbooks are provided in digital format by the educational institution;
- the approach to training is individual;
- reduced costs (no need to spend money on the road, rent housing);
- certification in online mode is more relaxed (students are less nervous, teachers are not biased).
Disadvantages of online Education:
- you need good technical equipment, high-speed Internet, and sufficient computer literacy;
- strong motivation is required;
- there is no personal contact with classmates and the teacher;
- there might be difficulties with the development of practical skills;
- it is difficult for teachers to assess the integrity of students.
- What is important in home learning?
- With remote education, motivation comes to the fore – you can achieve good results only if you are personally interested. It is very important to stick to the plan – when studying materials online, it is difficult to deny yourself additional rest. Control on the part of the teacher weakens, so self-control becomes relevant.
Prospects for distance learning
Remote learning is not a temporary thing – the best universities in the world have long-established e-learning centers that allow you to get a diploma while staying at home. The interest in e-learning is due to the fact that almost all businesses, educational and governmental institutions today are implementing IT technologies, and the requirements for personnel are increasing. There is a need for rapid, flexible, continuous training of competent personnel, which cannot be achieved using traditional systems alone.