Suicide is said to be a life-threatening act. Suicidal ideation is thinking about taking your own life. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 700,000 people die each year from suicide.
People with mental health problems such as depression, financial problems, wars, disasters, domestic violence, and abuse can be suicidal. Asking for help from a mental health professional and being surrounded by supportive family and friends can be of great help in helping individual fighting ideas about suicide.
What are suicide and suicidal ideation?
Suicide is a life-threatening act. Many countries around the world consider suicide a crime and can imprison a person for attempting suicide. Suicidal ideation is defined as the idea of hurting or killing oneself.
WHO estimates that 20% of people who commit suicide commit suicide using pesticides, firearms, or hanging their necks. There are many complete reasons why people try to take their lives. This includes mental health issues such as depression and other issues such as financial crises, family discord, and loss of loved ones.
Signs of suicide and suicidal ideation
The signs of suicidal ideation and behavior are:
- Talk about death and want to die
- Behave anxiously or recklessly
- Say goodbye to family and friends
- Isolate yourself (social isolation)
- Overdose of alcohol and drugs
- I feel like I have no reason to continue my life
- Experience sleep disorders
- Buy things like guns and pills.
- Experience loss of appetite
When to visit the doctor
If a person thinks of hurting himself, drinking too much alcohol, or self-harming, he should immediately call the suicide hotline or consult his local mental health professional. ..
Request a reservation at Apollo Hospital
phone 1860-500-1066 Reserve
Prevention of suicide and suicidal ideation
There are ways to prevent everyone from committing suicide. These methods are as follows:
- Keep people suffering from suicidal ideation away from dangerous objects such as guns, knives, pills and pesticides.
- If you identify any signs early, seek professional help immediately.
- Surround people with loving and compassionate people.
- If suicidal ideation begins, ask someone you can trust to call you.
- Encourage the person to write down their feelings.
Risk Factors Related to Suicide and Suicidal Ideation
There are several factors that make a person more susceptible to suicidal ideation and action. they are:
- No access to mental health services
- Victim of sexual abuse
- Suicidal ideation family history
- Mental health problems such as depression and personality disorder
- Overdose of alcohol and drugs
Treatment of suicide and suicidal ideation
The first step in treating someone with suicidal ideation or suicidal behavior is to take them to a mental health professional. A clinical psychologist gives the person psychotherapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy is said to be the most effective treatment. In this therapy, psychologists recognize negative thought patterns and try to turn them into positive and rational ones. Raising awareness of suicide, associated risk factors, and their treatment can also be of great help in treating a person. Most importantly, being surrounded by a strong network of support for family and friends can help someone feel loved and heal.
Suicide is an act of suicide. Suicidal ideation is thinking about suicide. Warning signs include harming yourself, buying medicine and firearms, and saying goodbye to your loved ones.
People with mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, financial crisis, and family problems are at increased risk of suicide. Getting proper access to mental health services and being surrounded by loved ones can greatly help someone heal from suicidal ideation and behavior.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the most common way to commit suicide?
Studies have shown that ingesting toxic substances such as pesticides, hanging the neck, and using firearms are the most common methods of suicide.
- Does alcohol and drug consumption increase the risk of suicide?
Yes. Studies show that alcohol and drug intake can cause people to commit suicide.
- What if the person you care about shows these signs?
Call the suicide hotline immediately or seek the help of a mental health professional immediately. If you try to harm yourself, take it to the hospital immediately.